Tuesday, April 29, 2008

House musings

This week past week, Ken and Chrys, aka Grandpa and Grandma, came to visit and help us with the house. (Just for the record, Grandma is still here and spoiling up one kid.) We now have our fabulous front door installed and a fancy new front yard full of perennials. I'm also slammed with work - I have about four new freelance projects with pretty tight deadlines. One of these days I'll get up the photos of our walls and our new hardwood floor in the kitchen. Perhaps I'll even scan our paint chips and get some feedback on the seven colors we've chosen (every room has to be a different color and since we're hiring someone in the ward to paint, he's not going to charge extra for having seven colors.) The colors are settling into a more muted version of our current house.


On Friday and Saturday, we spent all day digging in the dirt in our new front yard. I think we're actually motivating a few of our other neighbors to step up their landscaping game because one of the missionaries ripped out a tree (which fell on my car, no less - luckily the tree was very dead, it's only a small dent, and no one was hurt!), we built a new walkway out of pavers, and we built a new box with some of the old landscaping timbers that were in the yard. Combine that with about twenty new plants, and all of a sudden the neighbors are trying to keep up with the Rindlesbachs. :P


Anyway, on Saturday afternoon, I took Frankie on a little walk to the McDonalds down on the street corner to use the bathroom since we have no water yet in the house. On the way out, a fire engine pulled into the parking lot and, well, we just had to go and sit in it. The fireman was kind enough to take pictures with his camera phone and send them to me, so lucky for you, I'm able to blog about it.



I'm not making any promises as to when I'll get up photos of the house and garden, but hopefully it'll be soon. Chrys and I should finish the garden this week - we still need a few more plants and to build another walkway. It's going to be killer and seriously, if the neighborhood had yard of the month, we'd be a contender. This is exciting to me because I find landscaping an elusive mystery; I'm amazed that it's coming together so well. The backyard is a tangle of kudzu, so we'll wait to attack that when we move in and we start building the garage and Juston's mini half-pipe. Anyone who lives in the area, please feel free to drop by any time and check out the house!


And for the record, I'm going back to red hair tomorrow. The bleach just hurts too much to keep up (oh the burn) and I'm just not a blonde. Goodbye, platinum!

3 comments:

jenny said...

that is awesome that you got your yard put in. i have heard that can be a nightmare figuring out what plants to put where. and that picture of you and frankie is too cute. about going back to red. red rules. we all know that right?!!

charles said...

What a nice fireman!

Jan said...

I'll have to stop by and see the house when I get back next month. I can't wait.