Friday, April 11, 2008

Oh, just the usual...


This week I spent way more time than was necessary toiling and laboring in the yard. We had several months' worth of leaf buildup, as well as an embarrassing amount of weeds. No more! This is why I love Atlanta in the spring - it's so nice and warm and enticing to be outside, even when doing laborious tasks. Even when you take into account the yellow stuff (those of you who live here KNOW what I'm talking about), it's still the best place I've ever been in the springtime. The newfound heat, however, must bring out the strangeness. I'll let this video explain itself. And you should watch it to the end.



Okay, I'll explain a bit more. Elder Jones and three other missionaries were at our house for a 'transfers party.' Elder Jones was about to have his final transfer back home, we were all hyped up on Texas sheet cake, and this happened.



When one is a parent, one gets on all kinds of weird mailing lists. This is by far the best thing I've ever received in the mail. Trust me, you need to click on it and read the fine print.



I'm not going to get into how this is wrong on so many levels. I'm just going to let the bad marketing stand: the appeal to my husband's macho nature, my supposed pride and joy at putting my child in a pageant at the age of 20 months, the assumption that he's a rock star and the reveling in his dudeness. Let's stereotype my baby and try to get over the stigma of pageants only for girls - let's give showbiz parents of all genders the chance to destroy their childrens' lives young! Why why why do babies (or children of any age) need gender-segregated beauty contests?

2 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

I can't believe Bridget wasn't bothered by any of that.
You mean you're not going to enter him in the pageant?
I love spring too, but now its already too hot for yard work for me.

Sun said...

I've alway wondered about people who put their kids in pageants. Does it really make them feel better about themselves if some random judge says their kid is the most beautiful? They can't possibly think that the kid is having fun. My mom put me in a pageant when I was a kid and I hated every moment of it. I always felt sorry for the girls in the parades who had to wear formals..in the middle of the day..in August when the rest of us were barefoot and collecting bags full of candy.
I don't understand our culture's obsessive need be judged. Why would we want to teach our kids from infancy that their worth is determined by how cute they are compared to the kid next to them? IT'S INSANE!