Friday, April 11, 2008

BAM!


One of the curses of having On Demand is Teletubbies on demand.


Okay, so there's this segment on an episode where a lady sings a (admittedly very British) song called "Five Fat Sausages." (We decided the American version would have to be something like 'five fat bacons' or 'five fried chickens'.) Frankie loves it and always plays along. Here he is, making the sausages go 'bam!' with all of the children on TV. Ah, interactivity. It removes a small amount of the "holy cow that kid watches a lot of Teletubbies" guilt.


(P.S. - this is probably only interesting to grandparent types.)

We tried to play "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam" - but I made a crucial mistake: I left the TV on. Even Bridget is mesmerized by the Teletubbies baby crack magic. (We accidentally stole the sunbeam from the nursery at church lest you actually think I'm *that* crafty.)



At least three people thought Frankie was a girl because he wore his pink skull and crossbones shirt that day. The mullet really doesn't help either; it's long enough for small pigtails.


4 comments:

Sun said...

My kids watch a lot of Signing Time and I always justify it by pointing out that I'm giving them a way to communicate. It's true most of the time but sometimes I just need a half hour to myself.

I haven't let them watch Teletubbies, the Wiggles, or Barney yet simply because I'm afraid they'll drive me crazy. I guess that's one good thing about not getting TV.

VirtualM said...

A friend's kid introduced Frankie to Teletubbies and it's pretty much all he'll watch. It's amazing how you can get accustomed to something and learn to ignore it!
When we got married we briefly talked about not having TV (we were poor) but decided that we wanted our MTV, yo, and now that we've both worked in TV, it's all about checking out the competition. :)

Sun said...

We're not morally superior about TV or anything. We just don't want to pay for it and HATE commercials. We watch shows online and an obscene amount of movies. I think we'll have to break down and get real TV soon, though. The kids are all about Spiderman at Riley's preschool and he has no idea what they're talking about. As much as I hate it, knowing pop culture is a huge part of fitting in. I wonder if there is a way we can just get Cartoon Network and the History Channel. Yep, I'm that big of a dork.

VirtualM said...

This is the beauty of DVR - you can fast-forward through the commercials, although Juston *likes* commercials - he wants to make them someday. I am more hesitant with letting Frankie watch any shows that have commercials (hence we watch almost everything on demand) and we try to limit the 'branding' he's around, but it is kind of inevitable. This is where, as parents, we just have to try our best to teach the kids to be smart about their exposure and attitudes towards advertising. Yeah, I'm sure I'll be singing the same tune when Frankie is absolutely convinced he needs a Butterscotch Pony, but it's nice to be an idealist! :p