Saturday, April 05, 2008

Cold feet



Okay so I need some advice. We ordered a Silestone quartz surface countertop for the kitchen (same pattern as the one pictured above), but now I'm having buyer's remorse. Obviously they haven't cut the countertop or anything like that - we've still got at least 1 1/2 months until our kitchen will be to that stage. I'm assuming it's not too late to change my mind at this point. So should we have gone granite? Will this be a liability instead of an asset when we go to sell? What do you think?


*Edit*: I think I've decided that if we do go with Silestone, we're going to go with a different look for sure - maybe more of a 'white' because it's neutral but then we could play up the kitchen with some cool pendant lights and a great paint color. I dunno, I'm stressing about this way more than I should. So white-ish countertops and art glass hanging pendants in yellow blaze? Yes?


Edit #2 - tomorrow I'm going to look at silestone slabs at the distributor. And then there's plan #3: laminate money-savers. Just not sure if that's going to be a bigger black eye in a few years.

6 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

You are too funny. I wish I know more about counters to help you out. I just know I hate mine. Tough call though. Bathroom windows look great.

Anonymous said...

Hi. The question is "Are you more concerned about resale or what you love?" I really like silestone and would put it in my house. I think buyers like to hear the word granite, though. Good luck. I like what you picked, by the way.

claire said...

I like the original countertops with the blue better than the white-ish ones. White shows too much mess and looks too clinical for me.

If people care a lot about countertops, they can replace them. What are the other rehabers in your neighborhood doing? That would play a role in my mind since that is who you'll be competing against in a resale market. Good luck!

VirtualM said...

To me, when I look at a full slab of the blue, it says 'Grandma's Country Kitchen', which is why I'm not going that route. That's my explanation.
The tour of the Silestone distribution center was also really cool :)

Sarah said...

this is like a million years late, bit I'm obsessed with home renovation and having opinions about it since I'll probably never be able to own my own living space. Consequently: I think granite is over-rated. I like this stuff! I also like the whiteish idea. is it whiteish with specks? b/c that would be fantastic for making things look neater without being 100% the cleanest person on the planet all the time.

Eston said...

There are two most appealing color variations of granite kitchen sinks namely, black granite kitchen sink and white granite kitchen sink.