Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Book Tag

So this is the latest 'tag' to go around the blogs, and I got hit, so here it is:

1. get the nearest book to you, or one your reading that contains over 123 pages.
2. go to the 123rd page
3. find the 5th sentence
4. post the 5th sentence
5. tag 5 people

Since the closest book to me is a home remodeling book, I'll go with what I'm reading now. I'm currently almost finished with "The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness" by Kim Chernin. Here's the 5th full sentence on the 123rd page:

"There was a highly charged atmosphere in the place, a sense that too much energy had gathered and now would have to be discharged."

(The author is talking about an experience she had watching a larger woman do grocery shopping and the reaction of the people around her. The book is actually a really interesting read, if for nothing else than that she pulls some really weird, Freudian-style psychology out and dusts it off and re-purposes it to explain why we're afraid of the 'curvier' body of the mother in Western society. I dig that kind of stuff.)

I think this tag has gone through about everyone that reads my blog that also has a blog, but if you're reading this and you haven't done it and you have a blog (you all know who you are), then I tag you. Get to it!

I also promise to put up pictures of Frankie very soon - I realize we've had a toddler drought lately here at Frankie Loves Bridget. The rains will come! Oh, and just for fun - last night, I took Frankie to the Discover Mills mall (I was already halfway there after going to buy tile) and took him for a ride on the carousel. He loved it, of course, but here's the kicker - I've had like three people tell me that I'm a good parent for taking him on the carousel. Really? That's all I have to do to be a good parent? Sweet! Maybe I'm doing better than I thought! :)

No comments: