Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm outing myself as a big nerd. Bigger than you originally thought.

On Wednesday night, Juston and I drove to the quaint college town of Athens, GA, to see the Unlimited Enthusiasm Expo. We had an uneventful drive, and upon arrival, checked into our hotel. When we told the girl at the hotel desk what we were doing in Athens, she proceeded to give us a discount because she was jealous. We then ate at a diner called 'Clocked' and I really should've taken some pics there - it was great! Only in a college town could a place like that exist.

Athens!


The show itself was pretty crazy. I don't drink and I was doing stuff like this:



Juston relaxes before the show and pulls his 'John Barrymore thinking' pose.



The opening bands were almost more entertaining than the headliner, with the first being Uncle Monsterface, headed by a guy named Marty who was wearing suspenders and had his hair in ponytails. We talked to him for awhile - he makes his living by selling portraits of his puppets in Union Square, New York City. Seriously. He was awesome. Uncle Monsterface incorporated puppets and multimedia into its act, as well as a full-grown guy in an 'Uncle Monsterface' mask. The kids in the audience had a great time. And whey I say kids, there were like six-year-olds there.

'Pope' Uncle Monsterface dances with the kids during a cover of Madonna's "Like a Prayer."



Requisite photos of us dancing with the dude in the mask.



What what!



Math the Band - on stage, like a really nerdy version of The Dandy Warhols. On the album, not so much. They rule.



Harry and the Potters, probably the biggest Harry Potter-themed band to date (I know, there's a whole 'wizard rock' movement.) The band is comprised of two brothers, Joe and Paul DeGeorge, who answer the question, "what would happen if Harry Potter from year four got together with Harry Potter from year seven and started a rock band?"

Wizard Chess! (This is one of my fav HatP songs.)

So there you have it. If I'd been sixteen, it would've been the night of my life.

5 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

awesome.
you up for a jog in the morning?

Annie Gedge said...

Dude, its so true that concerts end up being the "night of your life." I started late, so at 22 I was saying stuff like that.

Sarah said...

I've seen that puppet portrait guy! I almost bought one for our living room!

Wallace Clan said...

Glad you had a good time!

I totally knew where you were in that picture!

Jesse Farrell said...

Just remember that's no mask- from the neck up, Uncle Monsterface is 100% monster.

From the neck down, 100% uncle.