Saturday, March 29, 2008

Housewares, or, Stained Glass on Parade


I know that some of you are following the progress of our "little" remodelation project here in Atlanta's West End. (Yes, I know remodelation isn't a word, but I saw it on a contractor's website and have kind of adopted it.) I've been scouring craigslist and ebay lately for fixtures and other items for the house. You've already seen the stained glass windows, and they're already installed and look fantastic, I might add. I've also purchased three stained glass light fixtures for the house.


We drove to Woodstock for this one, but since it was only $15, we thought we could put up with the exburbs. It's going to hang in the six-foot-wide, fifteen-foot-long hallway. I still need to find two other stained glass chandeliers to go with it.



This is a flush-mount ceiling fixture for the foyer/entryway. It has a dropped ceiling, unlike the 11-foot-plus ceilings in the rest of the house, so it won't look weird and too small for the space. Unfortunately this one arrived with a few cracks from shipping, so I'm not sure if it's going to make it or not, although the glass is all still in place and appears tight.



I have no idea what we're going to do with this one, but I do love it! It's a bit too small for the hallway, so we'll have to find some place for this beauty. Also, does anyone know how to re-wire old fixtures? This one still has cloth wiring.



We also purchased our kitchen cabinets this week. Holy cow those things are expensive! The good news is that our kitchen will be amazing when finished. If you follow this link, you can look at our cabinet style. Countertop color is here.All in all, things are coming along nicely, considering the amount of work we're doing ourselves. We're aiming for a June move-in date.


3 comments:

claire said...

Google rewiring fixtures, it looks pretty easy. I have/used to have an article I saved about it. Anyway, the blue one would be darling in your bathroom hanging over the tub or sink, don't you think?

brenna said...

Great lights-I love stained glass. I can't wait to see the house when it's done. Good luck with it all.

Laura said...

These fixtures have tons of character. I REALLY want to come and see the house progress before we leave. Craig may know how to rewire the old fixture. He recently rewired my blow dryer that was literally giving off smoke and sparks. He's pretty good at that stuff, but you can probably find it on the internet too. I bet you guys are getting super excited to move!