Thursday, September 10, 2009

Goats. And Dance.

So last Friday we went to the zoo (see previous post) and we didn't have any extra time to hang out because we were leaving town that afternoon. For the first time EVER Frankie was upset that we didn't make it to the petting zoo. I promised him we would go back, and he did not forget. On Tuesday after preschool, I took him to the zoo so that he could get his fill of goats and sheep and pigs.


Doesn't he look so happy? (/sarcasm) He did enjoy it, though. I fear our quick, one hour zoo trips are going to get longer and longer as he adds stuff to the agenda.

On another, completely unrelated note, Frankie started 'creative movement' dance class yesterday. He's the only boy in the class. I had no idea it was a pre-ballet class until we walked up to the performing arts center and he was literally the only kid not wearing a pink leotard, tights, a little flouncy skirt, and ballet shoes. Hey, it's free, can ya blame a girl for signing up her son? We took off Frankie's shoes and he danced barefoot. And he absolutely loved it. The parents were sent out of the room for the main part of the class, and I was told that he was bouncing all over the place. When we got home, he showed me how he made a butterfly with his legs and he did spins like they did in class. Today when I mentioned that he gets to go back to dance class next week, I got an enthusiastic 'Yay!' I'll try to remember my camera next time. I was also told that I should invest in a cape for him as apparently it's a must for dance class. :) I'm glad that Frankie is too little to think of this as 'too girly' and feel self-conscious - I think we try to 'gender' our kids at far too young an age and we close off many opportunities when the kids just want to play and have fun and really don't care if an activity is culturally deemed as being for boys or girls. Frankie is very athletic and loves gymnastics, so I'm not surprised that he took to dance on the first day. I hope that, as parents, we are able to expose our children to many different activities and that we allow and encourage them to form and develop their interests and talents, no matter where they lie.

5 comments:

Heather Bay said...

I agree that our society genders children far too early, from birth even.

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Amen, sister. I'm glad you let him go to dance, even though it's stero-typed as a "girl" activity. My son LOVES to play with toy kitchens, and even though my husband says that's way too girly, I think I'm going to buy him a toy kitchen for Christmas. I think it's good and healthy for a child to explore on his/her own and do things they enjoy! Can't wait to see pics of cute little Frankie dancing! And btw...I love his hair. Where did all the blonde come from?!

wendy_d23 said...

Awesome. I just packed the sewing machine or I would whip out a quick cape for him. Maybe when I have tons of free time in Utah...

jenny said...

that's fantastic. i say go for it. all toys and all activities should be gender neutral. especially at that age. besides, there are a lot worse things than having your son love to dance.

Jacki said...

I read this post about 10 days ago and have been meaning to comment. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when parents ignore the gender stereotypes and put their boys in dance! I loved having boys in my dance classes. Dance is such a great way to develop coordination and spacial awareness. I am going to put my boys in dance and my girls in sports. It makes for a better rounded child, I think.