Sunday, December 02, 2007

I been tagged.


There's this thing going around on people's blogs - it's where you write six little-known things about yourself and then tag six other people to do it themselves. Heather (who is also in the ATL Ward Primary presidency) tagged me. Woooo. Unfortunatly, I have a rather small blogging circle, so I fear there's no one left to tag! But here's my six, in random order:

1) When I was a kid, I was obsessed with cats (and Miss Piggy, but that's another item in itself.) I became something of a junior artist in the second grade with my cat drawings. I had a pet cat named Tiger that I thought was the bee's knees, even though I don't think he really liked me much. (My dog willingly snuggles with me in bed, but I could never force that dang cat to sleep near me!) I really wanted to be a vet, like most other children. At one point, my family owned four cats. I was well on my way to becoming the crazy cat lady, but then I developed an affinity for dogs and don't see myself ever wanting to own a cat again. (I only put this item in because, well, most people think I'm dog obsessed.)

2) I draw. My favorite medium is watercolor pencils, which I use with liberal amounts of spit (I love the colored fingerprint smudges.) When I was on my mission, I kept a journal of drawings, which was my emotional outlet. I mostly draw girls, and animals. I still draw quite a bit these days, and Juston is currently egging me on to try and sell prints on etsy.com, just for fun. Heck, I bought a couple of art prints the other day from someone off of that site, so people do buy them!

3) When I was in high school, I loved calculus. I lobbied for the third trimester of calculus, but only two other people signed up, so the class was dropped from the schedule and I ended up with an additional choir class. Calculus is the math that makes sense of all of that algebra nonsense!

(This is starting to get hard....)

4) I really wanted to write a paper about plastic surgery and the media in grad school. My professor thought otherwise and 'strongly encouraged' me to write about another topic that he thought was 'sexier.' I will do it someday. (What? You haven't seen "Lovely and Amazing?" You really should, if you like that kind of thing - note - not for the more sensitive of those in my reading audience.)

5) This year I've become a recycling fanatic. I get really upset when I see people throwing away stuff that can be recycled and I've been known to dig through my trash when people throw away aluminum cans, magazines, plastic bottles, etc. I also take home glass jars, plastic stuff, etc., when I'm out to eat or in public so that I can recycle them when I get back to my house. I call this my new year's resolution gone crazy overboard!

6) I haven't had long hair in over ten years. I just don't want it. I find shorter hair empowering and, well, way more fun than long hair. I also hold a belief that about 90% of women would look better with short hair, but of course, everyone is entitled to choose their own hairstyle!

7 - BONUS!) (I use a lot of parenthetical statements.)

Since it's the same people posting this stuff that read my blogs, I have no idea who's left. Anyone who hasn't, I tag YOU! Everyone who doesn't have a blog, do it in your hearts. Or send out a mass e-mail if you want to spam your friends.

6 comments:

Jan said...

I learned a lot about you that I didn't know. You loved calculus, I would have never guessed that. I would love to see some of your drawing. You should post some on your blog.

Laura said...

Wow Mary! You're one talented person! How have you kept all of this hidden for so long?

Laura said...

Okay, that came out wrong...I didn't mean it to sound like I wouldn't have known that you were talented...I do know you are talented. I just didn't know about all those extra talents that we've never heard about. =)

VirtualM said...

No sweat, Laura - I know what you mean! :)

Jacki said...

Mother Earth thanks your "New Years resolution gone crazy overboard"!

I agree with your #6. I think a lot of women look better with short hair. I usually grow my hair out long and then go super short. I have donated my locks twice already. It is empowering!

Heather said...

All right! I liked calculus too. Way to go on drawing--that is a talent I don't possess, so it's awesome when other people are good at it!