Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pre-K Hulabaloo

So I decided, last minute, that I wasn't happy with hippie central and that I wanted to switch Frankie to a different preschool. Yeah. It was a bit impulsive and gave me a sleepless night or two (combine this with the fact that we were starting the process to evict our tenants and a crazy amount of work and you have the recipe for fried brain. Luckily we did not have to evict after all, so that simplified things a bit. Anyway, I digress...)
Let's just say that the $700 jump in tuition from one year to the next and a few other things that went down last year left me with a less than savory taste in my mouth. I'd considered switching him since last May, but I'd already signed him up - I didn't know about the little indiscretions when I signed him up - and put down almost $500, so it seemed we were locked in. I decided to just look into it one afternoon about two weeks ago and found a new school opening up in a Methodist Church in Candler Park, Epworth Day School. They actually had some openings in Pre-K, so I went for a tour the next morning. The school is really small, only having four classes, and since they added Pre-K only a few months ago, it wasn't (and still isn't) full. They also started on August 10th, as opposed to after Labor Day, like most preschools. This is a bonus; see statement about massive amounts of freelance work above. It's still three days a week, unlike many Pre-K programs in the area that are 5 days/week. And sadly, even with losing the $500 to his old school, we're still going to come out paying *less*. Luckily the old school let me off without paying any tuition (yes, they also added in an extra payment, due in August, when there wasn't even any school in August) and we moved him right over. It's one of those things that was almost too happy to be just a coincidence; can we call it a 'prompting?' Perhaps. But I'm very glad it all worked out and so far Frankie is doing well.

Don't take my first day of school picture, woman!


Happily, he does like the slide (his old preschool didn't have one.)


Giant holey backpack, batman! He tends to drag it on the ground, and it was free. I can't bring myself to buy him a new one so he can drag it on the ground and put holes in it. He's the only kid without a shiny new backpack, but he's four, what does he care?


In his classroom with some new friends; yes, the kid next to him has a full mowhawk. We live in-town, ya get that.


Fingers crossed for a good year!

No comments: