Thursday, February 04, 2010

Bubbles the Fish

So Harper got sick last week, it happens, it's winter, right? On Monday, I decided to bite the bullet and visit the pediatrician because, number 1, I love paying co-pays, and number 2, I know way too many infants that have had RSV this year and I wanted to rule it out. The doctor determined that she was wheezing and gave her a nebulizer breathing treatment. Well, it cleared her airways, but made her wheeze even more. Apparently that's how people with asthma react. Awesome! No one in our families has asthma, but it's carried on the same gene as allergies and eczema, and allergies run rampant on my side; we're going to have to watch for it as she gets older. As a consolation prize, we were gifted a nebulizer of our very own, aka "Bubbles the Fish." Bubbles gets to smother Harper's face four times a day for seven days. Trust me, this picture is not representative of how she usually reacts to the nebulizer; normally there's a lot of screaming involved (good lung exercise, at least.) Hopefully this will clear up her cough and we won't have to go back for further medication. On the plus side, she doesn't have RSV and acts normally most of the time (except for the hacking cough and when she's being tortured by Bubbles.)



A week from today we go to the orthopaedist to check out Frankie's femur. They will take an x-ray and if it looks good, we could be leaving one cast lighter than we went in! We'll see, I'm trying not to get too excited. In the meantime, he's learned to walk with assistance as well as do gems of dances that he picked up from watching too many episodes of 'Yo Gabba Gabba!' (I think he's older than the target audience for that show, but you can't really argue with a kid in a cast.) I'm hoping for a video of the 'funky penguin' soon.

5 comments:

brenna said...

Caleb got one of those in Nov. It cleared things up, but then his wheezing started again in Dec so they put him on a month-long medication. That seemed to help. Now he has a cough/slight wheezing again. I hope Harper clears up better than him!

Jacki said...

Wow! Like having a preschooler in a body-cast isn't enough, let's add a nebulizer. BOO! Sorry Mary. Hopefully spring and summer will have better days.

Jordyn had that same thing last winter. I should have probably taken her to the doctor, but we just put her in the shower for like 2 hours everyday and let her sleep in the bathroom with the hot shower running. It cleared up in about 3 weeks. Granted if I had a kid in a body cast too, Jordyn would NOT be getting those 2 hour showers.

Heather said...

Poor Harper. I hope she gets better soon. I do like the nickname for the nebulizer though:-)

Laura said...

Poor Baby! She looks sad, but cute!

Sun said...

I've never met a kid who like a nebulizer. I hope she feels better soon and that Frankie's x-rays look awesome.