Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Frankie's been a busy boy this week...


...laying tile on the screened porch...



... and reading a little Jean Kilbourne (upside down, no less!)




Everyone should read that book, especially young women; it's called Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel. In short, it's about how advertising targets women and the insiduous messages that are often hidden in seemingly harmless ads. I recommend it a lot on other blogs when people ask about feminist literature, although it's probably more accessible than your typical academic fare. For those of you not into the reading, Kilbourne actually made a movie of it titled "Killing Us Softly", which is also excellent. She made her first installment in 1979 and has updated it twice since then. I picked up the book and re-read the introduction earlier this week and remembered how much I enjoyed reading it for the first time just over two years ago. Frankie picked it up today and trashed a couple of pages. I wish I'd gotten my hands on it when I was fifteen or so; it might've changed my life at that time. Alas, I'm getting a bit old, but I'm starting my son young!

P.S. My camera decided to die a premature death, so my blog might be a bit more bare until I resolve the situation or until I win the lotto. I think that there's a better chance of Bridget learning to do taxes.

No comments: