Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Movie Recommendation


I'm not in the habit of recommending films; mainly because I'm too much of a critic and there aren't many worth recommending. This weekend, however, I watched a film, States of Grace that not many people have seen, and that's a pity. I want to spread the word among my few friends and family that come here to see pictures of Frankie. The trailer on the website doesn't accurately portray the plot of the film; in fact, it's a rare film that shifts focus about halfway through and the story takes on a multi-dimensional aspect. The trailer chooses to focus only on one story line, and the film ultimately ends up being about the redemption of a different character. It's not perfect by any means, but as far as so-called "Mormon" filmmaking goes (and that's such a loaded term; I hate to use it), the film is quite brilliant. It tackles some really tough issues in terms of sin and repentance and earns the label 'edgy' that was so flippantly thrown around back when the film was released last year. It uses symbolism to portray meaning and even though some of it is conventional, it's highly effective and Richard Dutcher, the director, has no shame in blatantly making the viewer feel emotions through these conventions; I found myself - this is me we're talking about here - getting teary-eyed at the film's end because I ached for the characters, and the swelling musical score didn't help any. If you can find this film, you should see it. We purchased a copy when we visited Utah at Christmas, so anyone that lives in the ATL is welcome to borrow it, but if you like it, please support the filmmaker so that more films like this get made instead of drivel like Church Ball. This was a risky film for Dutcher because Mormon audiences do not like to see themselves exposed in such a naked manner, as imperfect human beings with serious problems and perhaps a lack of compassion for others. However, we may never get substantial Mormon art until we start uncovering our flaws and examining them in a public light. States of Grace will be hard for some, and might even be 'shocking' for those expecting standard Mormon fare, because standard, it ain't - it rises above.


I will reveal nothing about the plot. See it and decide what you think for yourself.
As a side note for those of you unfamiliar with why I would recommend this movie, I studied film in school and wrote a paper for a graduate seminar on "Mormon Cinema." I am not terribly involved with Mormon filmmaking anymore, but I want to support good art when I see it.

No comments: