Monday, September 01, 2008

Dragon*Con 2008 Parade

I promised less pictures in September, but I'm already off to a bad start. This weekend was Dragon*Con, a Sci-fi and Fantasy convention that attracts roughly 40,000 people annually, who descend upon downtown Atlanta in all their geekery. I admire the dedication of sci-fi and fantasy fans; I can't say I've ever felt as much passion about one thing as some of these people feel towards Star Wars or Vampires or Fairies or World of Warcraft; you get the idea. It would be kind of fun to be a part of some uber-dedicated fanbase, but alas, I'm too old to start and, I hate to say it, too normal and just not interested in the aforementioned stuff. The parade was on Saturday morning, and Juston had to go in order to interview some "Storm Troopers" for a Toonami Jetstream video. Frankie and I went along and got primo spots right at the start of the parade festivities.


Frankie on the train on the way to downtown. You can't tell in this picture, but he was stoked to ride on the 'choo choo train.' (Don't tell him that public transit rarely 'choo choos.')


Juston says that this is why he needs a mini - Thundercats are go!


Clingons on bikes:
The 'majorette' of the Seed & Feed Marching Abominable band:

"Fans for Christ" - kind of appropriately headed up by characters from "The Princess Bride."

Herbie - and the same weekend that Juston decided to watch the awful movie of the same name starring one Lindsey Lohan. (I don't ask anymore.)


Juston's co-worker Julia, parade-ing with camera in hand.

Juston, also parade-ing (and videoing) with the 'box' characters:

Scary Predators:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band:


This was arguably Frankie's favorite thing in the whole parade:


Vader's Fist 501 Legion - apparently it's an application process to become a part of this 'elite' group and march with the Storm Troopers. Sorry.

And the real reason Frankie likes parades - lollies! Yes, the shirt was on purpose - Juston was wearing one of his Cartoon Network Yoda shirts. I felt a bit left out, to be honest, although I don't think you'll ever catch me wearing a "Star Wars" shirt because, well, I don't really 'get' "Star Wars." Flame on.

I'll post the rest of Dragon*Con later this week so as to not overload all of your Google Readers!

No comments: